The evidence continues to mount regarding the benefits of care coordination and nurse navigation – key pillars of patient-centric care. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey studied the 2014 results from its patient-centered programs and found such programs provided an edge in several key areas, including:
- 8 percent higher rate in colorectal cancer screenings
- 3 percent higher rate in breast cancer screenings.
Further, coordinated care was essential in delivering:
- 8 percent lower rate in hospital admissions.
- 5 percent lower rate in emergency room visits.
- 9 percent lower total cost of care.